PA is an advanced method of ultrasonic testing. Instead of a single transducer and beam, phased array uses multiple ultrasonic elements and electronic time delays to create beams by constructive and destructive interference. As such, PA offers significant technical advantages for weld testing and plant monitoring over conventional ultrasonic as the phased array beams can be steered, scanned, swept and focused electronically from a fixed probe position. Beam steering permits the selected beam angles to be optimized ultrasonically by orienting or focusing them perpendicular to the predicted discontinuities, for example lack of fusion in automated weld inspections.
This can greatly simplify the inspection of components with complex geometry. The ability to test welds with multiple angles from a single probe greatly increases the probability of detection of defects.
- Ferrous & non-ferrous materials can be inspected.
- Can be used in limited access area.
- Inspection speed – In a linear scanning.
- whole weld area will be inspected, which tremendously reduces the inspection time.
- High probability of defect detection.
- Alternative to Radiographic imaging.